[Openmcl-devel] About Contribs

Daniel Weinreb dlw at itasoftware.com
Mon Sep 28 10:18:32 PDT 2009

Robert P. Goldman wrote:
> I'm glad that someone said this.
>
> There are some very compelling arguments for git adoption, but it's a much
> more complex animal -- at least for the user (as opposed to the admin)  --
> than svn.

According to Bryan O'Sullivan, for whom I have great respect,
Mercurial has the same thing that make git desirable, but is
much easier to use than git.

Bryan recently wrote a CACM article about distributed
revision control.  Bryan is also the author of a book
on Mercurial.  (He's also the first co-author of "Real
World Haskell", which is a very fine book.)

I have no personal experience with this.  We use svn
at ITA.  For a long time, we've been using a home-grown
script to deal with the merge problem.  I am told that
in the new svn, which we recently upgraded to, the situation
is greatly improved (svn keeps track of which changes in
the original line have and have not been merged) but I
do not know the specifics and have not tried it.

As far as I know we have no plans to switch from svn.

Here's a Google tech talk by Bryan, which I intend to watch
in my copious spare time. :(

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7724296011317502612#

-- Dan