[Openmcl-devel] ...the sky is falling

Joakim Sandgren joakim at joakimsandgren.com
Tue Apr 6 04:47:31 PDT 2010

again,
in the old version 13560 calling some functions invoke the console.
others go to the document without finding and without invoking the
console.
and:
all functions that happens to be written in one line without a new
line are found...

in version 13585 the 2 first cases dont find and dont invoke the consol.

the one line functions are still found...

for whatever its worth...

sincerely
joakim

Le 6 avr. 10 à 11:53, Gary Byers a écrit :

> On Fri, 2 Apr 2010, Joakim Sandgren wrote:
>
>> here is one console :sincerely
>> joakim
>>

> Thanks.  I haven't been able to reproduce this, but can convince
> myself
> that a bug that I did find could have led to this error.  Could you
> please
> update to r13585 (in the trunk), rebuild the IDE, and let me know if
> this
> problem persists ?
>
> I think that the combination of factors that might lead to the bug is:
>
> - the definition you're looking for isn't at its recorded position in
>   the file/buffer, either because the file/buffer has been edited
> since
>   the function was defined or because that position is a byte offset
> (not
>   a character offset) and the file is encoded in a variable-length
> encoding
>   (like UTF-8).  (I don't remember if the latter possibility is a
> factor;
>   Gail might know offhand.)  In this case, M-. has to search for the
>   definition.
>
> - a data structure used to perform that search was initialized
> incorrectly
>   if the length of the search string (the recorded source of the
> definition)
>   was greater than the largest CHAR-CODE of the characters in that
> search
>   string.  (In other words, it was completely bogus.)
>
> That (mis-)initialization is definitely a bug, and it would have led
> to the
> same symptom that showed up in the backtrace.
>
> When reporting a bug, it's much, much better to send a backtrace
> (even if
> it turns out to be unnecessary) than to not send one (if it does
> turn out
> to be necessary.)  r13585 fixes -a- bug (and it's quite possible
> that it's
> the one that's affected you), and it wouldn't have been possible to
> even
> know where to look without the backtrace.

Joakim Sandgren
joakim sandgren musik
42, rue de Maubeuge
75009 Paris