[Openmcl-devel] inverse of #$ - does it exist?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu Apr 15 12:49:49 PDT 2010

Not really; by the time it's stored in the .cdb file, it's just an integer constant
(not a "member of the NSStringEncoding enumeration").

You can enumerate the key/value pairs in a .cdb file (a la MAPHASH); I
don't remember how off the top of my head; the ObjC bridge does this
to find all classes/methods.  If enumerated types were better
supported (if integer constants were stored as members of that enumerated
type, not just as integers) you could do:

(maphash-like-thing-on-cdb-file
    (lambda (k v)
      (if (is-member-of-enumeration v NSStringEncoding)
        (add-to-your-own-mapping v k))))

and then use that mapping to map values back to names.

You could fake that by saying "the value is likely a member of the NSStringEncoding
enumeration if it's an integer and the key contains the substring "StringEncoding".
That's a bit sleazy and imprecise, but I don't think that you can do better.