[Openmcl-devel] preparing 1.5 release

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu Apr 15 13:31:13 PDT 2010

This -has- come up before (though it may have been a while); it may
depend on what system is used to build the kernel binaries in the
distribution.

It probably has to do with the version of libc that was installed on
the machine that the kernel was built on (relative to the version
that's installed on the machine that you have there.)  If there's a
way to tell the C compiler/linker on Linux that "any reasonably recent
version of any of these libraries is OK, our use of the stuff in them
is pretty vanilla", I don't know what it is; we wind up with version
dependencies that we don't really want (and probably don't really need
to have.)

The workaround in cases like this is to just build the lisp kernel on
the machine(s) you want to run it on:

$ cd ccl/lisp-kernel/linuxx8664
$ make clean; make

If anyone knows of compiler/linker options that can be used to avoid
this nonsense (to say "any reasonably recent version of these libraries
is fine ...), please let us know.