[Openmcl-devel] Setting up CCL to run under SLIME in Ubuntu 9.10

Donald Winiecki dwiniecki at boisestate.edu
Thu Jan 21 11:14:09 PST 2010

Hi again,

At the risk of raising the ire of some, I'll persist here.  I'm new to
Linux, and would count myself as an Emacs (really Edwin, as used in
MIT-Scheme) user.  I haven't had to hack this stuff.  When I used
Macintosh Common Lisp years ago, it had an IDE that kept all these
things out of one's way...

It seems that the Ubuntu installation puts SLIME in several different
places and when one invokes it through Emacs, it calls SBCL.  I
bypassed this for now by getting and putting a new SLIME in my home
directory and pointing Emacs to that.

Now, when I invoke SLIME from Emacs, it starts to call CCL but throws
up the following.  Couching this in the above, would be terrific to
know where to look next to get CCL running through SLIME.

-----

(progn (load "/usr/share/common-lisp/source/slime/swank-loader.lisp"
:verbose t) (funcall (read-from-string "swank-loader:init")) (funcall
(read-from-string "swank:start-server") "/tmp/slime.11644"
:coding-system "utf-8-unix"))

Welcome to Clozure Common Lisp Version 1.4-r13128M  (LinuxX8632)!
> Error: Reader error on #<BASIC-FILE-CHARACTER-INPUT-STREAM ("/usr/share/common-lisp/source/slime/swank-loader.lisp"/4 ISO-8859-1) #x14B0B12E>, near position 5038, within "     (clc:calculate-":
>        Reference to unknown package "CLC".
> While executing: CCL::SIGNAL-READER-ERROR, in process listener(1).
> Type :POP to abort, :R for a list of available restarts.
> Type :? for other options.
1 >

-----

The minibar displays the following, which gets me out of the mess:

Polling "/tmp/slime.11644".. (Abort with `M-x slime-abort-connection'.)

_don