[Openmcl-devel] iPad?

Paul Krueger plkrueger at comcast.net
Thu Jan 28 08:51:15 PST 2010

Ok, what I had read earlier about the A4 being a Power architecture
was speculation based on the fact that PA Semi made it and they had
previously produced Power chips. But it looks like Andrew is correct
that it is an ARM. I did a bit more web searching and discovered this
statement:

"It seems unlikely that Apple has invented something completely new
with the A4, and while P.A. Semi’s experience was with the Power
architecture, the iPhone, with which the iPad has much in common, uses
an ARM CPU. It’s likely then that the A4 uses an ARM core – rumours
reported by Bright Side of News and iFixit suggest that it’s the
Cortex-A9 MPCore. This is the same ARM core used by Nvidia in its
upcoming Tegra 2 SOC design (and it means our guess on Twitter that
the iPad would be Tegra 2 powered is pretty close!) Little is known
about the A4’s graphics, although as with the iPhone 3G and 3GS, it
will be compliant with Open GL ES."

So that effectively kills the idea I fear.

Paul