[Openmcl-devel] Unix signal handling

Scott L. Burson Scott at sympoiesis.com
Tue Jul 6 21:59:50 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Gary Byers <gb at clozure.com> wrote:

> CCL's own signal/exception handlers go through a fairly strict protocol to
> try to ensure GC safety, and anything we do to support user-defined signal
> handlers would have to deal with similar issues in similar ways.

Okay, fair enough, but is there a possible synthesis here?  What if we
had a vector of semaphores, and a generic signal handler in C whose
only action was to signal the corresponding semaphore?  The Lisp-level
handler then runs in a separate thread that waits on the semaphore and
then calls the handler.  The handler can interrupt some other thread
or do whatever else it wants.

-- Scott