[Openmcl-devel] home 2

R. Matthew Emerson rme at clozure.com
Wed Jul 21 08:46:03 PDT 2010

On Jul 16, 2010, at 1:12 PM, Joakim Sandgren wrote:

> hi,
> hm, that is :
> if I go down one or two steps with (I dont know the keynames:
> in the middle of the keyboard we have sex keys:
> help home "page_up"
> del   end     "page_down"
>
> if I go down one or two with "page_down" and then hit "home" nothing happens.
> I have to hit "end" and then "home" to go to the beginning of the buffer...

That's a bug.

I believe that we are seeing confusion between two models of how scrolling ought to work.

On the Macintosh, the convention is that scrolling a buffer of text (either via the scroll bar or via the PgUp/PgDn/Home/End keys) does not move the insertion point.

On the other hand, Emacs-style editors typically move point when scrolling:  if you type C-v or M-v, for instance, point will be moved so that it stays visible.

The Cocoa-based IDE is all mixed up:  PgUp and PgDn are bound to command that scroll the text and don't move point.  Home and End are bound to commands that move point to the top or bottom of the buffer

If you press PgDn a couple of times, this scrolls the text without moving point.  If you then press Home, nothing happens because point is already at the beginning of the buffer.