[Openmcl-devel] Problem with wild-inferiors directory list and pathname with a single quote in it

Kalman Reti kalman.reti at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 05:21:02 PDT 2010

Doing a wild-inferiors directory call on a directory one of whose
children directories
has a file whose name contains a single quote errors out.

I've investigated the proximate cause of this.

In %ccl::%all-directories, when you get an entry from %read-dir that is a
pathname which has a single quote as part of the name, you have the
correct [as in what's on disk] name+type string in the variable sub,
but then later you do

     (multiple-value-bind (name type) (%std-name-and-type sub)
         (setq ans (%cons-pathname (or dir-list (setq dir-list
(reverse so-far)) name type nil device))

which creates a pathname in the variable ans with a doubled (i.e.
quoted) single quote.
(Most likely that file with the doubled quote doesn't exist; even if
it does, this is not the
file you were looking for!)

It appears that the intent is that pathnames for such files always
have the single quote doubled,
so perhaps it is the sub value which is wrong.

This is easy to reproduce.  The way I did it is to create c:/foo1/
then c:/foo1/goo1 and then,
outside of openmcl, create a file called "test'it.jpg"  (without the
double-quotes but with the
embedded single quote) in c:/foo1/goo1/.

(directory "c:/foo1/**/*.jpg")

fails complaining thusly:

> Error: File #P"c:/foo1/goo1/test''it.jpg" does not exist.

There are probably other confusions of a similar sort lurking around.
If you then add a file
called testit.jpg to that same directory and do

(directory "c:/foo1/goo1/*.jpg")

you get a surprising result!

(I originally encountered this problem while trying to find all the
jpg files on my local disk
on which some third-party video editing software had installed a file
called "You're a star.jpg".)