[Openmcl-devel] Autocompletion for the IDE?

mikel evins mevins at me.com
Tue Mar 2 16:26:43 PST 2010

On Mar 2, 2010, at 6:08 PM, Alexander Repenning wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2010, at 4:29 PM, mikel evins wrote:
>

>> On Mar 2, 2010, at 4:57 PM, Alexander Repenning wrote:
>>
>>> meta-/.  is the "you have to press a key to get a completion" version. This is last century technology ;-)  Anticipatory symbol completion, in contrast, is a more autonomous version that will offer completions as you type the moment when you begin to hesitate. Here is the CCL version:
>>>
>>> http://code.google.com/p/xmlisp/source/browse/trunk/XMLisp/sources/IDE/specific/Mac%20CCL/anticipat-symbol-complete.lisp
>>>
>>> Even Safari offers Anticipatory symbol completion in its JavaScript IDE.
>>
>> This is also known as "anticipatory drive mikel to the brink of homicide".
>
> before you kill yourself

Myself? What a curious notion.

> feel free to suggest improvements.

I suggest a large, red warning label, bearing the legend: "WARNING: Anticipatory Symbol Completion."

Or perhaps a switch that turns the feature off. Yes, that's the ticket. A large, heavy switch--one of those big knife-switches that looks as if it would take a brace of strong men to throw it back on again. Make it rusty. With barbed wire around it, and the ominous flicker of eldritch power, never meant to be seen by human eyes.

--me