[Openmcl-devel] CCL bug?

Sudhir Shenoy sshenoy at gol.com
Mon Mar 15 19:44:19 PDT 2010

I get a "Bus error" in CCL PPC-32 as well as X86-64 with the following
code fragment:

Welcome to Clozure Common Lisp Version 1.5-dev-r13529M-trunk
(DarwinPPC32)!
? (defvar x nil)
? (dolist (i '(1 2 3 4 5))
       (setf (cdr (assoc i x)) 1))
Bus error

However, without the loop, it signals an error as expected:

Welcome to Clozure Common Lisp Version 1.5-dev-r13529M-trunk
(DarwinPPC32)!
? (defvar x nil)
? (setf (cdr (assoc 1 x)) 1)
 > Error: value NIL is not of the expected type CONS.
 > While executing: CCL::SET-CDR, in process listener(1).
 > Type :POP to abort, :R for a list of available restarts.
 > Type :? for other options.
1 >

I am not sure if this is a real bug or simply a result of
optimizations (since the code is obviously wrong) so I am reporting it
for whatever it is worth.

Cheers
Sudhir