[Openmcl-devel] How to cut down the size of ccl

Bill St. Clair wws at clozure.com
Thu May 6 07:14:39 PDT 2010

On 5/6/10 9:00AM, Leo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to run ccl on a remote machine that I only have 500M quota.
> However it seems ccl is about 303M. So I am a bit short of space. I have
> sbcl running there already and it takes about 57M. But I would wish to
> run ccl instead. The machine is linux x86-64. Any way around it? Many
> thanks.

Gary Byers will likely chime in with more detailed and accurate
information than I am able to give, but CCL doesn't use that 303
megabytes, unless you cons up enough data to fill it. It does, however,
RESERVE a large amount of space, in order to enable you to cons up huge
data structures. If you know you're not going to need that much, you can
use the -R (--heap-reserve) command line option to reduce the reserve
amount, but it's the RSS column of "ps aux" that tells how much RAM your
app is really using, not the VSZ column. See
http://ccl.clozure.com/manual/chapter15.1.html

-Bill