[Openmcl-devel] asdf 2 imported into trunk

Raffael Cavallaro raffaelcavallaro at mac.com
Fri May 7 14:27:53 PDT 2010

On May 5, 2010, at 10:53 PM, R. Matthew Emerson wrote:

> I just updated the trunk's bundled ASDF from upstream.
>
> http://common-lisp.net/project/asdf/
>
> The ASDF maintainers consider this version of ASDF to
> be a release candidate.
>
> http://common-lisp.net/project/asdf/asdf/FAQ.html includes
> an entry describing what has changed since ASDF 1.
>
> One notable pitfall:  ASDF 2 is not compatible with
> asdf-binary-locations.  ASDF 2 now includes similar
> functionality itself.  Please read the FAQ link above
> for more information.
>
> Please test it out on your systems.  If you find a bug,
> please report it at https://launchpad.net/asdf or use the asdf

FWIW, I ran into an issue with the new version of asdf (i.e., asdf 2) and the latest asdf-install. There's a simple, one line fix to the most recent asdf-install to make it work with the asdf 2.

In the file installer.lisp which is part of asdf-install, an around method for the generic function find-component has an incompatible lambda list. The latest version of installer.lisp from asdf-install has this:

(defmethod asdf:find-component :around
    ((module (eql nil)) name &optional version)
  (declare (ignore version)) ...

just remove the &optional parameter and the subsequent declaration:

(defmethod asdf:find-component :around
    ((module (eql nil)) name) ...

and now asdf-install will load and work properly. (well, it still doesn't pass its own test suite because it tries to use an illegal character in a filename when writing its report, but it does successfully install asdf-installable systems).

warmest regards,

Ralph

Raffael Cavallaro
raffaelcavallaro at me.com