[Openmcl-devel] Not starting SBCL

Greg Bennett gwbennett at sentex.ca
Mon May 17 20:10:37 PDT 2010

On Ubuntu 64bit I have downloaded emacs and slime via apt-get.

After reading documentation in Section 2.6 + pointers, I put the
following code in .emacs in
my home directory:
-------------------
(set-language-environment "utf-8")

(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/")  ;replacing
the default with where it seems that apt-get put it
;or wherever you put it

;;; Note that if you save a heap image, the character
;;; encoding specified on the command line will be preserved,
;;; and you won't have to specify the -K utf-8 any more.
(setq inferior-lisp-program
"/home/gwbennett/LispTopLevel/Systems/ccl/lx86cl64 -K utf-8") ;That's
where it is

(require 'slime)
(setq slime-net-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)
(slime-setup '(slime-fancy))
-----------------
Starting emacs, splitting the screen with C-x 2, invoking M-x slime
in the lower window invariably leaves me in version 1.0.29 of SBCL
rather than in openmcl.
As an experiment, I copied the above .emacs into ~/.emacs.d/init.el
but I still find myself in SBCL.
I assume that I have to edit some (other) configuration file to (?) replace
a call to SBCL with one to openmcl.
Thanks for any and all assistance
/Greg Bennett