[Openmcl-devel] Quick HW question...

Daniel Weinreb dlw at itasoftware.com
Wed Nov 17 11:27:30 PST 2010

Tim Bradshaw wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand this really, but I'll blunder in.  If what you're saying is that your programs have inherently random memory behaviour, then I think yes, you're hosed, and further there's nothing (short of changing the laws of physics)
"I canna' change the laws of physics" - Montgomery Scott
> which will help you as far as I can see.
>
> If there *is* locality in your code, then I think it's possible to exploit that locality.  I  obviously don't understand your systems, but if you have something which is walking around in some space (of whatever dimension), for which you have some kind of metric (or even some weaker notion of "closeness" than a metric), then if you have a system which can allocate objects which are close in this space close to each other in terms the system understands (on the same cache line, or in memory close to the processor doing the work, or what have you), then you can exploit this metric.

In the classical DBMS of the 80's and 90's, the most important
time was retrival of a page of disk, thus leading to structures
like B-trees.  I can see the same kind of thing possibly happening
here.  A Lisp implementation could have a "map" structure
that was implemented B-tree style to take advantage of
knowing about cache lines and being aligned.

-- Dan