[Openmcl-devel] Strange LISP Clozure problems

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Fri Oct 1 09:47:07 PDT 2010

On 10/1/10 Oct 1 -11:27 AM, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:
> Hello Robert,
>
> Thanks for the response and suggestion.
>
> Actually, it not a database as the list grows both in number if
> entries as well as the size of each of the two sub-list. It's more of
> a collections of changing number theory patterns problem more so than
> a database.

Well, having more entries isn't a problem if your list is represented as
an array.  See VECTOR-PUSH-EXTEND to do that.

It would help if you were to explain how this data structure is to be
accessed.  Is the first element a key?  what are the two "sub-lists"?

I'm assuming you have something like this

(defstruct my-record
  (index 0 :type fixnum)
  (sublist1 nil :type list)
  (sublist2 nil :type list)
  (some-other-thing 0 :type fixnum))

I don't see any reason why you couldn't keep them in an array instead of
a list, and if you can, you should, since you get constant-time access
if the index is really an index, and you can destructively modify them
easily

(setf (my-record-sublist1 (aref pattern-vector n)) <some-damn-thing>)

Also, you can iterate over the array easily (see discussion of
fill-pointers); just as easily as with a list, and more efficiently,
since you need only do pointer arithmetic and not pointer-chasing.

if you want more successful help, it would be a good idea to tell us
what these records are and, in particular, what the sublists are and
what the first and fourth fields are.  Without knowing how they are to
be used, it's almost impossible to give useful suggestions about data
structures except to suggest that as a novice you be VERY VERY cautious
(i.e., don't do this) about destructively modifying lists.

HtH,