[Openmcl-devel] Mac App store: will CCL apps fly?

Scott L. Burson Scott at sympoiesis.com
Thu Oct 21 12:24:54 PDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Ron Garret <ron at flownet.com> wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2010, at 10:24 AM, Alexander Repenning wrote:
>
> I wonder if a CCL app would be OK? Anybody cares to speculate? I would
> assume so.
>

> I would predict not.

 I don't know, it doesn't run afoul of the rules listed, and perhaps more to
the point the rule against iOS apps written in non-approved languages was
rescinded after public protest.  So while we know Apple feels perfectly free
to change the rules at any time, I think they will think twice before
issuing a language restriction again.

> In fact, I'll go out even further on my limb and predict that OS X itself
> will be deprecated within five years.  Of course, it won't be officially
> announced as being deprecated the way Java was.  But some day in the not too
> distant future Apple will Announce the bastard stepchild of OS X and iOS
> (I'll call it OS/X LOLCat), and it will look a lot more like iOS than it
> does OSX.  In particular, it will be a closed system.  No more finder.  No
> more terminal.  Only the launcher and the app store.  For a while you will
> be able to run legacy apps in a backwards-compatibility mode (anyone
> remember "Classic"?) but eventually that will go away too.
>
> I could be wrong.  I hope I am.  But I don't see any other way these tea
> leaves could be read.  Jobs has telegraphed his intentions pretty clearly.

Interesting comment, and I half agree.  I think you will be able to buy iOS
for the Mac, and it will be as you describe, and it will account for the
bulk of their sales.  But they can't stop selling MacOS entirely.  How would
anyone develop apps???

-- Scott