[Openmcl-devel] Mac App store: will CCL apps fly?

Raffael Cavallaro raffaelcavallaro at mac.com
Sat Oct 23 07:10:44 PDT 2010

On Oct 23, 2010, at 12:53 AM, Sudhir Shenoy wrote:

> So if your analysis of the future is correct, it simply means that Apple will get out of the computer business and concentrate on computers as appliances.

You really should watch the interview with Jobs which I think is here:

<http://d8.allthingsd.com/20100607/steve-jobs-at-d8-the-full-uncut-interview/>

He explicitly compares general purpose computers to trucks and computing appliances (like the iPad) to cars, noting that the overwhelming majority of the consumer market drives cars.

That said, Ford, Toyota, etc. all sell trucks too. It isn't as big a part of their business, but it does continue to exist. This is the future Jobs has *explicitly* said he expects for computing. There's no tea leaf reading necessary. He's been quite clear. Steve Jobs, and hence Apple, expects that, for the overwhelming majority of consumers, their primary device will be a computing appliance/iOS/touch device, not a general purpose computer.

Nevertheless, general purpose computers will continue to exist, and Apple will continue to sell them, just as Chevy and Dodge sell trucks as well as cars. General purpose computers (i.e., PCs)  just won't be the main focus of Apple's R&D, marketing, innovation, etc going forward.

warmest regards,

Ralph

Raffael Cavallaro
raffaelcavallaro at me.com