[Openmcl-devel] Apple OKs other dev tools for iOS

peter p2.edoc at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 9 22:12:52 PDT 2010

At 4:05 PM -0600 10/9/9, Gary Byers wrote:
[...]

>  (At the very least, any native development environment
>would violate those guidelines - generating and loading code

[...]

Could we not just see the iOS on Touch devices as just deliver
platforms for apps that we write elsewhere?

The "Clozure CL64" API app weighs in at 47MB, Alex's XMLisp at 135MB.
While the dx86cl64 executable is 1/2MB.  So couldn't my small iOS app
weigh in at 1MB?

I was hoping to develop with Clozure on steroids on a Mac with Cinema
display with copious resources, then deliver on any Mac, in
particular on iPhone and iPad in shrink-wrapped form.
I.e. not develop on Touch platforms - I thought that was the
philosophy, consumer devices for consuming rather than creating
content.

Apple stress the need for apps to start and stop fast. I was
surprised when Willem Rein Oudshoorn wrote

"1. Start Clozure CL64.app  [ 1.5-r13651  (DarwinX8664)! ]
2. Wait till it is started up"

I find CCL fabulously fast to boot, even with Hemlock bloat on-board,
and take CCL as on a trajectory to be able to deliver Mac apps that
qualify as first class Cocoa citizens (i.e. just what Apple will
love).

How delusional is any of this?