[Openmcl-devel] CCL images, consumer apps, and piracy

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 13:53:25 PDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Jeremy Jones <feralearthman at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's a valid question whether or not CCL code can be decompiled.  I suspect
> that it might be possible to do a  fairly good job with some effort, but I
> doubt anyone will put in the effort.

Large numbers of hackers *will* make the effort rather unscrupulously
for any hit game, regardless of implementation language.  What would
be more tasty to a hacker than a hot selling game written in Lisp?  If
one's game is not a hit, then the point is moot, as Stardock has
proven.  Just remember that in hacker culture, some pieces of software
are targets (i.e. Windows OS) and others are not (MacOS).  Pirates
like mass markets, not vertical markets, and I bet CL has been used in
vertical markets far more often.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every