[Openmcl-devel] CCL images, consumer apps, and piracy

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Mon Apr 11 04:46:18 PDT 2011

On 11 Apr 2011, at 12:29, Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:

> In the case if specific virtual machines, one point of designing them is
> to reduce this distance, so the compilers are simplier.  A side effect
> is that it's easier to uncompile the code.

I can see that makes sense.

> One could say that the x86 instruction set came from military projects
> originally, so it has encryption embedded in its nature...

I've never seriously looked at x86 code produced by compilers. The point where things started to get seriously incomprehensible to me was the CISC->RISC transition (you could often make sense of VAX/68000 output, but trying to understand what compilers produced for MIPS/SPARC was much, much harder).