[Openmcl-devel] CCL images, consumer apps, and piracy

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 06:26:51 PDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Pierpaolo Bernardi <olopierpa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 20:36, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, I'm pretty new to Common Lisp and Clozure CL.  I'm using Windows
>> Vista.  I have been reading a lot of materials to try to understand
>> how CLL produces standalone apps.
>
> Maybe you are new to clozure, but you can't write that you are new to cl,
> since you are posting questions about games in lisp in several mailing lists
> and usenet newsgroups since at least 2001.

New to doing any programming with it.  I'm broadly familiar with just
about every functional programming language out there, and there's no
"scare factor" for me, but I have no depth of experience in any of
them.

Back in the day, compiled open source CLs with commercially acceptable
licenses that ran on Windows did not exist.  Consequently I departed
for the Scheme universe, where such things did exist.  First Bigloo
Scheme, until I realized that first class Windows support was never
going to happen, and the GPL was annoying anyways.  Then to Chicken
Scheme, where I dropped a man year into a CMake build to get it to
work on Windows.  It worked great for 6 months, but then the author
couldn't hide how much he disliked CMake and didn't care about MS
Visual C.  We had words and he dropped my build.  In the end, the only
thing I accomplished was getting them to abandon the horror of
Autoconf as well, in favor of hand rolled makefiles.  He retained
support for the Unixy MinGW and Cygwin compilers, but not the
commercially important MSVC.  In the course of this I became an expert
at CMake script and hardly coded any Scheme at all.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every