[Openmcl-devel] CCL on Darwin11

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sun Apr 24 08:00:33 PDT 2011

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011, Renzo Orsini wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have problems trying to install ccl on Darwin 11, i.e. Mac OS X Lion. A full recompilation of ccl DOES work, but the Clozure CL64 IDE produced is not working (actually, the icon has a no access sign over it, so maybe the generated application is simply in a wrong format or not completed to be considered an application).
>
> Is somebody working on it? There is some test that I can do?

If anyone was working on it, they wouldn't be able to discuss details
publically, since doing so would:

a) make sense and be potentially useful
b) violate the terms under which they acquired Lion, since those terms
    prohibit discussing it in public.

That said, it would be reasonable to assume that people will try to
ensure that CCL works on the released, final version of Lion.

I can say that, in the past, developer previews of OSX releases have
often been significantly different from the final versions.  (CCL worked
fine on early prereleases of Leopard, for instance. Those early releases
didn't include ObjC 2.0, which came as a bit of a surprise.  The PPC64
version of CCL - which was still somewhat relevant then - was completely
broken from that point until very shortly before the final release.  It's
very hard to know whether any issues that people (hypothetically) see at
this point have anything to do with what they'd (equally hypothetically)
see in the final version of Lion, and it's not possible to discuss those
issues here.)