[Openmcl-devel] flexible 32/64 bit CCL apps

Alexander Repenning ralex at cs.colorado.edu
Wed Aug 10 09:24:27 PDT 2011

Our testers are complaining about a 64bit version of a CCL64 based app not running on 32bit only Macs (e.g., 10.6.8 10K540, iMac Core Duo/1.83 GHz). A simple solution is, of course, just to create a CCL32 bit version instead which will work fine but does have some disadvantages. The testers prefer "the real deal" which would be a fat binary with 64/32 versions combined and user control, via GetInfo dialog to switch back to 32bit mode:

I do vaguely remember that we did have discussions about fat binaries a long time ago but if memory serves right this was about PPC/Intel which by now is no longer an issue. Has anybody succeeded at this, are there, ideally Lisp wrapped up, tools for this?

best,  Alex

Prof. Alexander Repenning

University of Colorado
Computer Science Department