[Openmcl-devel] UFFI on ccl 1.5+

R. Matthew Emerson rme at clozure.com
Thu Dec 1 20:23:19 PST 2011

On Dec 1, 2011, at 9:06 PM, Ian Eslick wrote:

> I have a running system (LAMsight) based on Elephant that has been running on ccl 1.4 for quite some time.  I am trying to upgrade to a more recent release (1.7 on 64-bit Mac 10.7 or Linux Debian 5.0) and am having low-level problems with the Berkeley DB wrapper.
>
> I'm using the latest quicklisp version of UFFI 2.0 which works with my version of Elephant 1.0 (almost identical to the public version) and it runs and passes the regression suite fine on 1.4, but I am unable to even open a database under ccl 1.7.
>
> This leads me to ask a few questions:
>
> #1) What changes between version 1.4 and 1.7 might have influenced low level pointer manipulation in C library wrappers?
>
> #2) It's been years since I've had to debug these low level interactions; is there anyone with CCL/OpenMCL expertise interested in helping debug Elephant+UFFI to make it compatible with the latest CCL?

I installed bdb4.5 and elephant from quicklisp on a Mac OS X 10.6 system.

I tried to run the elephant tests with bdb (and had to quickload fiveam), and I did get a lot of test failures and several CERRORs mentioning dropped slots, but I didn't see any issues with the FFI.  The test programs were able to create and use databases.

At a higher level, it might be the case that http://trac.clozure.com/ccl/changeset/15001 is a change that might affect elephant in some way (but hopefully for the better).