[Openmcl-devel] PowerPC port

Brian Mastenbrook brian at mastenbrook.net
Fri Dec 9 17:32:04 PST 2011

On Dec 9, 2011, at 6:40 PM, Gary Byers wrote:

> Thanks; I hadn't thought that there might be some PPC-based NASes around
> and it hadn't occurred to me to look.
>
> The APM82121 seems to use a 32-bit POWER 464 core, so it's not a full
> replacement for the aging and failing G5s that we've been using.

It's actually a 464FP; unlike some earlier PowerPC 4xx processors, it has a double-precision FPU.

Freescale has recently started producing their own 64-bit PPC processors, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for cost-effective hardware based on these.

--
Brian Mastenbrook
brian at mastenbrook.net
http://brian.mastenbrook.net/