[Openmcl-devel] process-run-function and mach ports usage

Willem Rein Oudshoorn woudshoo at xs4all.nl
Thu Feb 17 10:59:10 PST 2011

Hi,

I am observing that in multithreaded applications the nr of used mach
ports keep increasing indefinitely.
Now I think this is not normal because other programs (non lisp) do
not exhibit this behaviour.  But I might be using threads wrong.

Reproduction scenario
---------------------

1. Run top and watch the #PRTS column
2. start ccl
3. the value in #PRTS column is about 185.
4. execute the following expresion

   (ccl:process-run-function "name" (lambda ()))

5. Notice the value in teh #PRTS column is 4 higher than beore
6. It goes never down.
7. It will increase 4 by every execution of the 'process-run-function'
function.

Questions
---------

1. Is this bad?
2. Is there some cleanup needed after doing process-run-function ?

Oh, I tested this with:

"Version 1.6-dev-r14302M-trunk  (DarwinX8632)"
"Version 1.6-dev-r14302M-trunk  (DarwinX8664)"

On Mac OS X 10.5.8

Kind regards,
Wim Oudshoorn.