[Openmcl-devel] all I want is a (cocoa) window...

R. Matthew Emerson rme at clozure.com
Tue Jan 11 14:39:24 PST 2011

Sometimes, all you want is a plain window that you can pop up and draw stuff into.

I wrote an example that demonstrates how to initialize Cocoa and create and draw in a window without having to set up an application bundle or use a nib file.

You can run this example from Emacs and Slime, and it will work.  You don't need to be running CCL's Cocoa-based IDE (and in fact, you better not be).

I put it at http://www.clozure.com/~rme/no-nib-cocoa.lisp.  Please give it a look;  if I get some positive feedback, I can add it to the ccl:examples; directory.

The following links were useful in figuring out how to do this:
http://blog.hyperjeff.net/code?id=292
http://lapcatsoftware.com/blog/2008/10/20/working-without-a-nib-part-7-the-empire-strikes-back/