[Openmcl-devel] last call for 1.7 prerelease testing

Alexander Repenning ralex at cs.colorado.edu
Thu Jul 28 07:45:51 PDT 2011

We the behavior of the AltConsole to be surprisingly important for end users (not developers) of CCL made Apps. When testing a CCL made App a surprisingly large percentage of users could not run CCL at all on their machines. Turned out that in 95% of all cases the AltConsole was the problem. The App still created some output in AltConsole. Users quit the App. I do not know why they are compelled to do so but they simply do. The problem with that is that once AltConsole is quit any output produced to the AltConsole will crash CCL immediately. On CCL Win this is even simpler to achieve as closing the WaltConsole window will do the trick.

I assume this would be a simple fix but with potentially really important consequence for end users:

- very important: avoid this kind of crash at all cost. Example approaches: (a) relaunch AltConsole when there is output, (b) just throw away the output when altconsole is not running
- would be nice: when the AltConsole comes up for the first time do not make it the foreground window. This gets end users attention and they feel compelled to dismiss the "dialog" by closing it.

Alex

On Jul 27, 2011, at 4:17 PM, R. Matthew Emerson wrote:

> I'm planning to make the 1.7 release at the end of this week.
>
> If you haven't yet had the chance to try your code with the
> 1.7 prerelease, there are still a couple of days left to give
> it a try and report any bugs.

Prof. Alexander Repenning

University of Colorado
Computer Science Department