[Openmcl-devel] undo size

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Wed Jun 15 09:05:23 PDT 2011

On 15 Jun 2011, at 15:48, Raffael Cavallaro wrote:

> You shouldn't conflate what you want from a programmer's editor with what most users will want and expect from most applications.
>
> Versioned documents can certainly mean that beyond a certain time depth you lose fine grained undo. That said, this is what most users already do; they do not rely on a fine grained undo stack of unlimited depth.  At some point most users save the document or a version of the document, close it, and by doing so, lose the undo stack.

This is probably too far off topic now (so I'll shut up after this), but I think we're agreeing.  All I meant was that undo/redo and (versioned) autosave are not the same thing, and you need both.  I don't personally have any interest in persisted-undo-redo and I'm fine to lose the undo stack on save, but I do want much more than versioned documents (I want versioned documents *too*).  Most consumer things (Pages is the only one I use at all seriously) now seem to provide undo/redo that meets my requirements, anyway.