[Openmcl-devel] Incompatibility with Xcode 4?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Mar 15 17:33:38 PDT 2011

The good news is that XCode 4.0 can't be used to develop applications
that use 10.7-specific features.  (They don't release headers/documentation
for unreleased OS versions.)  I have no idea how post-4.0 versions of XCode
will be distributed (or what OS versions, if any, Apple will decide to drop
support for)

If you don't upgrade to XCode 4.1, how will you be able to develop applications
for iOS 4.3, and if you don't develop such applications how will Apple make any
money from allowing you to sell them ?  Some people are just so selfish ...

If you actually need to continue to develop for/support Leopard, Apple recommends
that you install both XCode 3.x and 4.x in separate directories.  If you can
predict how the order in which these packages are installed affects which
versions of the command-line tools (if any) get installed in places like /usr/bin,
then you know far too much about about how the installation process works.  (At
some point in a late beta release of XCode 4, the option to install the command-line
tools at all was disabled by default; I don't know whether or not this was true
of the final version.)