[Openmcl-devel] Incompatibility with Xcode 4?

Raffael Cavallaro raffaelcavallaro at mac.com
Wed Mar 16 08:54:01 PDT 2011

On Mar 16, 2011, at 11:00 AM, Ben Hyde wrote:

> Oh, and the correlation between having five bucks and having clue is vanishingly small.

The correlation between *spending* five bucks and being interested in something is surprisingly high. IOW, people will not generally drop five bucks on something they really don't care about. This weeds out the truly casual, or merely curious.

People are mostly pack rats; they'll grab anything if it's free, even if they've no interest in it and they'll really never use it. Charge 5 bucks, and they'll walk right by.

> Another thought occurs to me.  The most valuable thing Apple has is the experience it's customers have when using their products.  If people browsing the app store download xcode blindly that damages their experience.

Not in Apple's view. Xcode conforms to all of Apple's HIG; it is forward looking wrt Lion (full screen is the future - mustn't confuse users with overlapping windows!); it joins iPhoto, iMovie, and Garage Band as a poster child for "we eat our own full screen dog food;" it serves as a constant reminder that this is the UI direction the platform is moving in; it comes with a huge amount of detailed documentation, etc.

If Apple doesn't think that dozens of iFart apps damage user experience, they sure don't think that Xcode 4 does.

warmest regards,

Ralph

Raffael Cavallaro
raffaelcavallaro at me.com