[Openmcl-devel] Incompatibility with Xcode 4?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Mar 16 14:47:04 PDT 2011

Thanks for looking at this.

I had just checked in changes to the Makefiles that approach the problem
a different way (by setting SDKROOT to /) and leaving OSVERSION at 10.5.

The header files and libraries that're installed in / (in /usr/include,
/usr/lib, etc.) generally correspond to those installed in the most
recent SDK directory in the XCode tree (usually rooted at /Developer)
and also generally describe the host OS version.  As long as that's
10.5 or later, the setting of OSVERSION should set options that keep
the lisp kernel from using post-10.5 features (sort of ...) and the
resulting binary will run on 10.5, even if the kernel is built on a
system that doesn't have 10.5-specific headers installed (like XCode4).
Being able to run on 10.5 is still desirable.

At some point, we'll likely have to drop 10.5 support: it'll get too
hard to maintain and be too irrelevant.  I don't think that the fact
that XCode4 doesn't distribute a 10.5-specific SDK is a good reason
to drop that support now.