[Openmcl-devel] When does (= (length "hî") 3)?

Erik Pearson erik at digative.com
Fri Mar 25 00:15:21 PDT 2011

Thanks, Gary, for the solution and the pointers. I think I begin to see. See that I'm an idiot.

- only for other idiots and fools -

The answer is "when your ccl is in iso-8859-1 default character encoding but your terminal is in UTF-8."

If only I had used the "reopen using encoding" feature of BBEdit or TextMate to check the output to a file created with supposedly unicode text, I would have seen that in utf-8 mode, the editor text looked normal, but that in 8859-1 mode it looked just like ccl "said" it should look by inspecting the string array - three characters, and the same ones reported by char.

And now I understand why I was so confused.

I WAS using OS X terminal in UTF-8 mode, and CCL in 8859-1 mode. I type in character "LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH CIRCUMFLEX", which happens to be two bytes in utf-8, and the terminal program generates the two bytes and sends them to on the terminal io stream. CCL, and more specifically the terminal io stream, is in default ISO-8859-1 mode, so it receives 3 bytes, which it dutifully stores in the string after I press the Return key. When it echos back to the terminal, it shows up again as two characters, because the terminal is displaying the two bytes as the single character according to utf-8. So to appearances, CCL is understanding and echoing utf-8. But under the hood, it is really 8859-1 (or perhaps utf-32 translated from and to 8859.)

I think somewhere in my riddled brain I must have assumed some magical connection between the terminal and ccl -- so that ccl would "know" that the terminal meant "latin small letter i with circumflex" when it was typed.  (Well, I suppose one could enhance the startup script to parse the LANG env variable and set things up through -K and -e ...)

Really diabolical, if you ask me, but it makes perfect sense, of course, as everything in the lisp world does eventually.

I should have remembered what I tell my kids -- if you think the entire world is wrong, it is probably you, honey. Or, if things don't make sense to you, it is probably you, and not the things.

Cheers to Gary for patiently enduring my offense to ccl, and taking the time to explain.

Now to grab a beer and break something else!

Erik.