[Openmcl-devel] CCL crash on windows (with multithreading and ffi callbacks)

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sun May 1 19:58:17 PDT 2011

I'd recommend debugging.

Is the callback (locking-callback) called ?  Do its arguments look plausible ?
Do BT:ACQUIRE-LOCK and BT:RELEASE-LOCK do the right thing(s) ?  If things
seem to work when this callback isn't installed and don't when it is, then one
could suspect either the mechanics of the callback or the code it calls; if
(hypothetically) BT:ACQUIRE-LOCK and BT:RELEASE-LOCK didn't work, then it
wouldn't be too surprising if a multithreaded application that relied on those
things working didn't work.

If the "mechanics of the callback" - receiving arguments from and returning
results from foreign code - were at fault, then that is something that CCL
(and to some extent CFFI) is responsible for and a problem there would
almost certainly be a bug in CCL.  The callbacks that seem to be involved
don't -look- too unusual, but one never knows.

If someone isolates the problem as a  CCL bug, then I'd certainly be interested
in trying to fix it.  It's potentially a lot of work just to isolate the problem;
I wish that I coul say (well, sort of wish ...) that I had time and interest
in doing that, but I quite frankly have neither.  (I don't even know where
things like QuickLisp put the sources to the systems that it downloads, and I
don't have the attention span or patience or whatever to learn that.)

It sounds like you've already done quite a bit to narrow this down;
adding a few calls to BREAK or PRINT or FORMAT in appropriate places
might do a lot to help isolate the problem to the point where someone
could actually do something about it.