[Openmcl-devel] Apple To Require Sandboxing For Mac App Store Apps - Slashdot

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Sun Nov 6 03:11:07 PST 2011

On 6 Nov 2011, at 02:50, Scott L. Burson wrote:

> For certain kinds of apps, it's true, it will be a great advantage to
> be in the App Store.  But if your app does things that necessarily
> can't be done in a sandbox -- for example, if it's a programming
> environment -- you needn't worry about this, as no one else can sell
> that kind of app in the App Store either.

Like Pascal I'll note the obvious hole in this argument around Lion and Xcode.

The obvious solution would be to have a rating system of some kind.  At one end there would be things which were not allowed to touch the filesystem at all, for instance, and at the other there would be things which would have unrestricted access to the hardware (for instance an OS upgrade).

Whether Apple will do that is a very different question.

Sorry, this is off-topic for Lisp.