[Openmcl-devel] Apple To Require Sandboxing For Mac App Store Apps - Slashdot

Scott L. Burson Scott at sympoiesis.com
Sun Nov 6 10:30:08 PST 2011

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 1:21 AM, Pascal Costanza <pc at p-cos.net> wrote:
> So what about XCode and Lion - they won't be sold via the appstore anymore?
>
> [To be more precise: Will Apple play by the same rules they set for others?]

They've already sandboxed a bunch of their apps -- Safari, Preview,
TextEdit, etc. -- which are of a kind as to be appropriate for
sandboxing.

Not selling Lion itself in the App Store would miss the point, since
this is the basis for the new security features.

I don't know about XCode.  Maybe they figure that if you're a
developer, you're willing to take the risk that XCode will be
compromised and damage your system somehow.  There's nothing new about
this risk, after all.

I am not by any means an automatic apologist for Apple, but I do work
in the application security business, and I think this is a good move.
 As Macs get more and more market share, they are becoming more
attractive targets for malware.  If Apple can prevent the emergence of
Mac botnets, they will have done the world a tremendous favor.

-- Scott