[Openmcl-devel] Apple To Require Sandboxing For Mac App Store Apps - Slashdot

Andrew Shalit ashalit at learningtouch.com
Mon Nov 7 07:27:49 PST 2011

On Nov 6, 2011, at 6:56 PM, Matthew D. Swank wrote:

> On 11/06/2011 01:33 PM, Pascal Costanza wrote:
>>>

>> I agree that, from a security point of view, this is a good move. However, I hope that Apple sees a benefit in eating their own dog food, because I'm convinced that the result would be even better for everyone involved.
>>
> Is there a non file system persistence api that apps like dev environments can use under this new regime.

There's no problem saving your own data.  You can do that in your apps own little private territory (I forget what they call it) and you can do that in a file or files specified by the user.  The problem is gaining access to system-wide resources that you need to do many things, or to groups of files that the user wants you to have access to.

If you plan on selling Macintosh software at any point in the future, this would be a good time to fork over the $99 and get your developer account with Apple, so you can read the actual documentation on this and send them a piece of your mind.  Expressions of hope on openmcl-devel won't be nearly as effective.  The the developer discussion forums hosted by Apple are also an interesting place to get more information about the concrete impact of these changes; people who are trying to get their apps running under sandboxing are sharing there experiences about exactly what does and doesn't work.