[Openmcl-devel] Directory and symlinks

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sun Nov 13 23:08:23 PST 2011

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011, Zach Beane wrote:

> Gary Byers <gb at clozure.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011, Zach Beane wrote:
>>

>>> In light of CCL's interpretation of the standard'
>>
>> As I noted the other day, SBCL, AllegroCL, and LispWorks (at least)
>> seem to share this interpretation.
>
> SBCL no longer shares the interpretation, and I could not reproduce the
> result on Allegro CL 8.2 for Linux. What Allegro version and platform
> are you using?

FWIW, I find that SBCL 1.0.50.0-debian (which is the version available
in the Ubuntu 11.10 distribution) seems to behave the same way as CCL
does on the case that I tested.  Allegro (the demo version of 8.2) and
LispWorks (a demo version of 5.1.1) DON'T behave the way that I thought
they did on Darwin; I blame pilot error.

If I'd been correct in assuming that the majority of implementations
behaved as CCL does, then "majority rule" is a significant factor: in
the absence of some (more) compelling argument for outlying behavior, then
there's reason to believe that more people would be inconvenienced by
outlying behavior than by the majority behavior.

I simply had it backwards, and CCL's behavior in this case is much more
of an outlier than I'd realized.  I can't think of a compelling argument
for that, and agree that it should change.