[Openmcl-devel] ClozureCL on iPhone

Bill St. Clair wws at clozure.com
Mon Oct 31 08:44:13 PDT 2011

I wrote this while Andrew was writing his response, so I've repeated
some of what he said.

Gary will likely explain the details better, but my understanding is
that the kernel of the problem is that an iOS app memory page cannot be
both writable and executable. Hence, CCL's compiler can never work on an
unjailbroken iOS device. It could write code, but could never execute
it. Hence, compiled code would have to be cross-compiled in CCL on your
Mac, then signed and loaded into the iOS device. Further live
development would need to generate only evaluated functions.

This is certainly doable, but requires the technology to link
cross-compiled fasl files into static iOS libraries, runtime code to
link those to the heap, and a full evaluator. CCL's current EVAL
implementation handles a few simple cases, and then hands off to the
compiler anything complicated.

You'd probably do development via a Swank server in the running iOS
image, and slime-eval-xxx would make code changes live. Occasionally,
you'd recompile the whole thing to make the working code faster, then
continue with evaluated additions/modifications. A listener on the iOS
device would be possible, but no fun to use on anything but an iPad with
an external keyboard.

-Bill