[Openmcl-devel] how to ignore this warning? - shadows standard CL definition.

Pascal J. Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Sun Apr 15 12:47:54 PDT 2012

박성민 <byulparan at gmail.com> writes:

> [small-]
> I update to  1.9-dev-r15327M-trunk  (DarwinX8664)!.
>
> I sometime shadow standard cl function.
>
> for example..
>
> (defmethod plus ((p1 number) (p2 number))
>   (+ p1 p2))
>
> (defmethod plus ((p1 string) (p2 string))
>   (concatenate 'string p1 p2))
>
> (labels ((+ (&rest rest)
>   (reduce #'plus rest)))
>   (+ "clozure" " common" " lisp"))
>
> ;Compiler warnings :
> ;   In an anonymous lambda form: Local function or macro name + shadows standard CL definition.
> => "clozure common lisp"
>
> if I can ignore it, tell me what to do....    thank you.

You cannot ignore it, this is forbidden by the standard.  You cannot, in
a conforming program, define a function with defun, labels or flet named
with a symbol from the CL package (and not only symbols defined by the
standard as functions, but ALL of them!)

  * (flet ((*print-readably* () 'hi))  (*print-readably*))

is not conforming.

What you can do however, is to shadow the cl:+ symbol, and use your own
symbol named "+":

    (defpackage "MY-PACKAGE"
        (:use "CL")
        (:shadow "+"))
    (in-package "MY-PACKAGE)

    (defun + (&rest args)
       (apply (function cl:+) args))

    (defmethod plus ((p1 string) (p2 string))
      (concatenate 'string p1 p2))

    (labels ((+ (&rest rest)
      (reduce #'plus rest)))
      (+ "clozure" " common" " lisp"))

is perfectly conforming:  my-package::+ is not cl:+.