[Openmcl-devel] IDE under Windows

R. Matthew Emerson rme at clozure.com
Wed Jan 25 07:11:48 PST 2012

On Jan 24, 2012, at 10:43 PM, Greg Bennett wrote:

> After some time away, I now have the opportunity for further attempts to move
> an application from Allegro to CCL.
>
> With a new cygwin plus the list of tools from the wiki/WindowsNotes,
> and a new ccl, I am puzzled by my inability to build the IDE from
> 64-bit code:
>
> OS: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
> CCL: downloaded via svn
>         64-bit (lisp-implenetation-version) -> Version 1.7-dev-r14869; 32-bit -> r14962
>         under cygwin, ran svn up -> 15177M
> Under cygwin: ran make in   ...ccl/lisp-kernel/win32, and in ...ccl/lisp-kernel/win64
>                       both successfully
> In ...ccl:  made copies on the exe and image files for 32 and 64 bit versions
>               ran the copies and executed (rebuild-ccl :clean t)
>               both successfully
> The tried (require :cocoa-application) -> success in the 32-bit version
>                but -> Error: Unknown foreign type :OBJC_OBJECT in the 64-bit version.
>
> Perhaps I have missed a step, perhaps the IDE does not build in 64-bits and I have missed a note
> somewhere which would have told me that. If so, apologies.

Your suspicion is correct.  I'm not really up-to-date on the current
Cocotron situation, but the last I knew, it wasn't possible/feasible/easy
to build the Cocotron libraries for 64-bit Windows.

In any case, the Cocotron DLLs that are in CCL's svn repository are
32-bit only, so the Cocotron-based IDE only works (for some value
of work) as a 32-bit program.