[Openmcl-devel] Debian packaging for CCL

Faheem Mitha faheem at faheem.info
Tue Jul 10 11:11:35 PDT 2012

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012, Tim Bradshaw wrote:

> On 10 Jul 2012, at 03:43, R. Matthew Emerson wrote:
>
>> Regarding source code, I believe that many programmers find it
>> helpful to have the source code of the lisp implementation around,
>> too.  This way, you can M-. right into the source code of
>> with-open-file (or whatever).

> Just as additional reinforcement for anyone planning on making packages:
> a packaged CCL without source included would not be interesting as a
> development environment for me, anyway: I use M-. to look at
> implementation stuff a lot.  (On the other hand I get mine from SVN, so
> I would likely not use a packaged one anyway.)

I hope to package the source as well, but not on the first pass. Debian
has this as a separate package for SBCl, namely sbcl-source. This seems
like a reasonable precedent to follow.

I'll first try to come up with a coherent packaging strategy, document it,
and try to at least get to a basic working implementation, and make this
public. At least that way, if I run out of energy and/or time, someone
else won't be starting from scratch.

Linux style packages are not for everyone, but they have their advantages,
and of course, disadvantages. On balance, I'm a fan.

                                                           Regards, Faheem