[Openmcl-devel] Debian packaging for CCL

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Tue Jul 17 04:11:52 PDT 2012

On 17 Jul 2012, at 06:09, Faheem Mitha wrote:

> However, using just the sources as you have listed them, then raises
> the question - what compiler do I use to build with - do I use the
> binary packaged version of CCL in debian to build the source for
> itself? That seems a little weird.

Isn't this just the standard bootstrap problem with any system which builds itself?  If so, then the answer from the packaging perspective would be to look at how other things which expect to build themselves get built.  gcc would be the canonical example I suppose.  I've never even looked at how gcc is packaged, but the build process is (or used to be): build initial compiler with the system's compiler; use that compiler to build a stage 2 compiler, use the stage 2 compiler to build a stage 3 compiler which should be identical to the stage 2 version.