[Openmcl-devel] *default-character-encoding* should be :utf-8

Vladimir Sedach vsedach at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 14:52:02 PST 2012

Hello,

The default Clozure character encoding for LOADing files is currently
unspecified, and defaults to latin-1 (at least on my machine). It
would be much better to make the default utf-8 - there is no standard
way of specifying the default encoding for LOAD (IMO a big omission
from the CL standard), and ASDF makes no provision for specifying
source file encoding either. At least SBCL and CLISP default to utf-8,
so files with non-ascii strings and symbols load fine, but if I want
to load the same system in CCL, right now I first need to set
*default-character-encoding* to utf-8.

The fix is rather modest - l1-sysio.lisp, line 87 should be:
(defvar *default-file-character-encoding* :utf-8)

Thank you,
Vladimir