[Openmcl-devel] *default-character-encoding* should be :utf-8

Pascal J. Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Mon Mar 5 04:55:06 PST 2012

Tim Bradshaw <tfb at tfeb.org> writes:

> Again, remember: I think UTF-8 (or locale-dependent encodings) is The Right Thing. Just probably not in practice.

THe locale-dependent initialization of encodings has two advantages:

- if no locale is specified in the environment variables, it falls back
  to whatever algorithm you want (eg. the current one or UTF-8).

- if a locale is specified, it's the same for all the POSIX programs
  running on that system.  The editor will save by default a file in the
  encoding specified by LC_ALL or else LC_CTYPE or else LANG, and ccl
  will load it in the same encoding  specified by LC_ALL or else
  LC_CTYPE or else LANG.  For naive users it's the best.

(And the locale can be set system-wide or specifically by the user).