[Openmcl-devel] Semaphore troubles

Erik Pearson erik at defunweb.com
Thu May 10 09:16:38 PDT 2012

Hi James,

I'm sure Gary et al. will have a fix soon -- today if past performance is
any measure -- but for now try this. In your ccl directory (/opt/ccl/ccl in
my system, because I install my ccl from svn in /opt/ccl), in the level-1
directory, in the file l1-lisp-threads.lisp,  hunt down and replace the
%nanosleep function with this:

#-windows-target
(defun %nanosleep (seconds nanoseconds)
  (with-process-whostate ("Sleep")
    (rlet ((a :timespec)
           (b :timespec))
  (setf (pref a :timespec.tv_sec) seconds
(pref a :timespec.tv_nsec) nanoseconds)
  (let ((aptr a)
(bptr b))
    (loop
       (let ((result
      (external-call #+darwin-target "_nanosleep"
     #-darwin-target "nanosleep"
     :address aptr
     :address bptr
     :signed-fullword)))
 (declare (type (signed-byte 32) result))
 (if (and (< result 0)
  (eql (%get-errno) (- #$EINTR)))
     (psetq aptr bptr bptr aptr)
     (return))))))))

All I did was remove the OS X workaround code. I'm working with the
up-to-date trunk, v 1.9.

I'm sure the official fix will be in soon, and will probably conditionalize
the OS X (Leopard) code.

Then fire up ccl and issue (rebuild-ccl). I've had the 1 second test
running all night, with no issues at all, and the 0.01 with just two, at
800,482 and 2,236,556 iterations.

It is notable that sleep does not guarantee a high degree of accuracy in
the sleep time -- to wit, if it is the underlying call to nanosleep is
interrupted and then continued (as the lisp code above does) the sleep
duration will drift upwards (increased by the time between the interruption
and the next call to nanosleep.)

There is a another Linux/Posix call "clock_nanosleep" which can be used to
set an absolute time for the sleep, which avoids the drift issue. Perhaps
worth pursuing?

Erik.