[Openmcl-devel] CCL on Windows

Raymond Wiker rwiker at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 12:27:47 PDT 2012

On Oct 1, 2012, at 21:19 , Ron Garret <ron at flownet.com> wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> The problem turned out to be this: if you double-click on a zip file, Windows will open up a window that displays the contents of the zip file.  If you try to run ccl out of this window, it doesn't work.  If you explicitly unpack the zip file first and then run ccl out of the resulting folder then it works.
>
> So CCL is running, on to the next question: if I want to do some UI-ish thing in CCL on OS X then I use the ObjC bridge to call Cocoa functions.  What is the equivalent concept on Windows?  Do I use the FFI to call the Win32 API?  Or is there some higher level library that I can use that lets me do something like (make-instance 'window)?  Is there any Windows UI sample code or documentation?
>
> rg

One option would be to create a web interface to your application - I do this regularly (but admittedly for things that are an obvious fit to web interfaces :-)

Alternatively, you could use the .NET libraries via Edi Weitz' RDNZL. I'm not sure if RDNZL supports CCL, though... It did not a couple of years back, and my own effort to port it was not completed. There are some examples at
http://weitz.de/rdnzl/, including one or two that do GUI stuff.