[Openmcl-devel] *default-character-encoding* should be :utf-8

Pascal J. Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Tue Sep 25 14:35:02 PDT 2012

Tom Emerson <tree at dreamersrealm.net> writes:

>> 2.  It breaks some legacy code
>
> Which is a non-trivial issue but which can be addressed with
> appropriate documentation.
>
>> I believe that UTF-8 is the right choice, not *despite* these arguments, but *because* of them.
>
> I'm in violent agreement, but (2) needs to be recognized: there is a
> lot of legacy Lisp code, as you know.

Real legacy code will be in ASCII anyways, and any ASCII file is a
correct UTF-8 file.

More recent legacy code would be in MacRoman, and then developers would
be conscious of it and already be setting the default encoding to that,
to read them, or have converted them to utf-8 as I did when I inherited
MacRoman sources.