[Openmcl-devel] [off-topic] Adding a slot to a class using the MOP

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Mon Apr 22 23:29:07 PDT 2013

Why not this?

(defmethod ensure-class-using-class :before (class name &rest args)
  (setf (get 'class-info name) (list* class args)))

(defun add-slot (class-name slotspec)
  (destructuring-bind (class . args) (get 'class-info class-name)
    (push slotspec (getf args :direct-slots args))
    (apply 'ensure-class-using-class class class-name args)))

It seems to work:

? (defclass foo () (x y z))
#<STANDARD-CLASS FOO>
? (add-slot 'foo '(:name q))
#<STANDARD-CLASS FOO>
? (describe (make-instance 'foo))
#<FOO #x3020028B7DAD>
Class: #<STANDARD-CLASS FOO>
Wrapper: #<CCL::CLASS-WRAPPER FOO #x3020028B9EBD>
Instance slots
Q: #<Unbound>
X: #<Unbound>
Y: #<Unbound>